Waikato River Authority Summer Internship – November 2012 to January 2013
The Waikato River Authority was established in late 2010 to set the primary direction through the vision and strategy for the restoration and protection of the health and wellbeing of the Waikato River and its catchment (an area of 11,000km²). The vision is:
Tooku awa koiora me oona pikonga he kura tangihia o te maataamuri
The river of life, each curve more beautiful than the last
Our vision is for a future where a healthy Waikato River sustains abundant life and prosperous communities who, in turn, are all responsible for restoring and protecting the health and wellbeing of the Waikato River, and all it embraces, for generations to come.
The Authority is an independent body corporate with a co-governance Board of 5 Iwi and 5 Crown appointees (including 2 Co-Chairs). The Board also acts as sole Trustee of the Waikato River Clean-up Trust, which will administer $220m to fund clean-up and restoration projects to support the realisation of the vision over the next 30 years and beyond.
During the busy Christmas and New Year period the opportunity has arisen for a Summer Intern to support the Authority’s office team. The role requires a person that:
- Has whakapapa to one or more of the Waikato River Iwi (Waikato-Tainui, Maniapoto, Raukawa, Te Arawa River Iwi, and Ngati Tuwharetoa);
- Is proficient with basic computer programmes;
- Has a great attitude to work and being part of a team;
- Is currently enrolled in a Tertiary Institute ideally undertaking a course study in law and/or commerce; and
- Is proficient in basic office software (eg MS word, email).
- The tasks required include various administrative functions, liaising with the public/funding applicants, and supporting the day-to-day functioning of the Authority’s office.
Applications can be made to Susan Stephens at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm, 31 October 2012.